Wednesday, May 31, 2006

How to tell if you’d like to be a copywriter


Part 1: A lesson in copywriting
Part 2: Quiz/assignment


The other day I had a fun job which I really enjoyed working on. So I decided to use it as an example, and also as a lesson, in copywriting.

The job was to help finish up an invitation that one of my clients had created for a party they were throwing for their clients, colleagues, friends, etc. (They’re a design studio.) So I got the email below along with the invite as it stood – the front and back of a postcard (above, minus their name/address which I deleted for privacy.) Note: the photo was taken by my client's dad years ago and they'd used it in some other pieces.

Here’s the email/assignment I received:

Hello Keasha;

I am so hoping that you may have a little time this week? My goal is to get the graphic artist to work on this over the weekend. So, sorry for the last minute...Help? I understand if you do not have time, then maybe Monday? Let me know. (thanks so much)

The attachment is a PDF of our first draft on our party invite. We have definite changes to make, especially on the black and white side, the side with the words. Below are new words from Clare. My goal and our thought of pulling you in, is to try and bridge the images of the front of the card with the "Waste Challenge" display. On the back of the card, instead of the mandala pattern that surrounds the Z logo, we are going to put a photograph of one of the Waste Challenge art pieces that is circular in character, "Chandelier by Rod Klingelhofer".

WORDS (as they stand right now...until you get done with them:-)

Please join us for a festive evening of music, food, refreshments
and a special exhibit inspired by Convergence 2006
"The Waste Challenge"
Fiber creations made from textile mill waste
by Michigan artists

Wednesday, June 28, 2006
6 p.m. to midnight

Music arranged by Jauad Lughod

(Their name/address was here)

The QUIZ & the ASSIGNMENT

Now, here’s a quiz/assignment you can take/do to help you determine if you want to be a copywriter.

Quiz:

What exactly is the assignment here?

Where do you start?

What is absolutely necessary to include?

What’s is your message? What do you want your audience to do?

What impression do you want to make?


If you think this looks fun/challenging, you might like to be a copywriter – because writing ads is very similar. And often the time frame is just about as short.

Assignment:

Play around with this for an hour or so and see what you come up with.

If you think that was fun, you should definitely consider being a copywriter.


Coming soon:
Part 3: What I came up with
Part 4: The hours/invoice

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home