Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A very bad day.

Well, I’ve done it again. Another typo. I swear they’re gonna be my downfall. It’s amazing how much damage a little thing like that can do. This one was really bad: the brand name in the headline of a story that was posted online. Can you imagine our client’s reaction to that one? Not to mention my editor’s. Here’s what he had to say in an email to me, which I received first thing in the a.m. (names blocked out for obvious reasons):

“Keasha,
Thank you again for posting the story on R&D last night. It is very well researched and, likewise, written...
...save one TINY little detail: "XXX” was misspelled as "XXIX" in the headline.
Ouch.
Granted, it's just as much my fault for not closely examining the headline, so as your editor I am more so to blame than you. In the future, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be more careful. I have complete trust in you to manage this process, so I don't feel the need to floss your posts as much as some of your colleagues.
Needless to say, this typo caught some attention as you can imagine.Otherwise, you are a valued member of this team, and I look forward to yournext submissions….
Regards,”

He also copied me on the email he wrote our client:

“Please accept my sincerest apology for allowing that typo to occur in the first place. A brand name typo in a headline is absolutely inexcusable.

While I have addressed this with Keasha, as her editor I must accept full responsibility for the error. Though I still retain complete faith in her abilities, I will more closely monitor all posts made by the writers directly into XX from now on. Henceforth, if this or another mistake of this stature rears its ugly head again, I will recommend changes to our internal process, if and when this becomes necessary.That said, Keasha has proven herself time and time again as a valued contribution to our team. Of course, she is wholeheartedly sorry. I chalk this up as rare, steak tartar rare. Please know that I have nothing but absolute faith in her work and our XXX would not be the same without her.Please let me know if you wish to discuss this any further at your convenience. Once again, I myself am nothing but sorry for this, and I pray this has not caused your department any undue pressure…”

Needless to say, I’ve been in a bit of a funk the last two days. I just don’t know what’s going on with me lately. Well, actually, I do know some things that probably enter in to it, but really, there is no excuse for making a mistake like that at this stage of my game. I just need to slow down and be more careful. It all boils down to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home